Contributing to Refinery
One of Refinery's key principles is encouraging people to contribute. This guide will show you how to:
- Contribute to the documentation (such as this guide)
- Contribute bug fixes or new features
- Contribute financially
Contributing documentation or guides
We'd love it if you have a how-to guide on adding or setting up a feature on Refinery.
Read the Writing a guide for this website guide for more information.
Contributing bug fixes or new features
WARNING: This guide is only for advanced users of Refinery
In your browser
- Login to https://github.com
- Go to https://github.com/refinery/refinerycms
- If you have a fork of refinerycms already, delete it (if you're not going to lose work. This makes it much easier for us to integrate your changes back in)
- Click on "fork" to make a fresh new fork on your own account.
$ git clone email@example.com:USERNAME/refinerycms.git $ cd refinerycms $ bundle install $ bin/rake refinery:testing:dummy_app $ rails server
In your browser again
- go to http://localhost:3000
I found an issue. Where do I file it?
- add it to https://github.com/refinery/refinerycms/issues - with as much detail as possible :-)
Contributing a fix
Make your changes to fix a bug. Next regenerate the dummy app and run the Refinery tests
$ bin/rake refinery:testing:clean_dummy_app $ bin/rake refinery:testing:dummy_app $ bin/rspec ./*/spec
If this doesn't work. Follow the How to test Refinery guide
Commit your changes:
TIP: if you've filed an issue on Github add "Closes GH-999" (replace 999 with your issue number) to your commit message and it will automatically link the issue to your commit and close it.
git push origin master
Now go to https://github.com/refinery/refinerycms and click "Pull Request". Type a nice message explaining what you've done and send the request.
We'll merge it in if it's all good.
Confused on where to find everything?
Take a look at this page which briefly explains the source.